Re: Optimize cascade deletes

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..aniatis.org)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2007 - 20:05:36 EDT

    On 22/09/2007, at 2:45 AM, Giulio Cesare Solaroli wrote:

    > In this case, to delete just 68 rows it took more than two minutes,
    > but I don't know if this time is spent somewhere inside the cayenne
    > code, or if this is simply the time it took PostgreSQL to "physically"
    > delete the rows.
    >
    > Do these details help understanding what is going on?

     From these logs (and I don't use Postgresql so I don't know much
    about it), it would appear that the speed issue is inside Postgresql.
    I'd recommend trying this without Parallels (postgresql should run OK
    in OSX) and seeing what extra logging you can switch on at the
    database. mysql has a concept of 'slow-query-log' - perhaps
    postgresql has something similar.

    Cheers
    Ari Maniatis

    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8