Re: Optimize cascade deletes

From: Giulio Cesare Solaroli (giulio.cesar..mail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2007 - 09:02:37 EDT

    Hello,

    On 9/22/07, Michael Gentry <blacknex..mail.com> wrote:
    > FWIW:
    >
    > I run PostgreSQL on OS X and it is plenty fast enough. The downside
    > to PostgreSQL on OS X is there isn't an installer, so it is more work
    > to build and install. If you are Unix-savvy, though, this won't be
    > much of a problem.

    I have avoided installing PostgreSQL on my Mac, as it is not possible
    to easily remove it, and I really hate to have the "postgres" user on
    my Mac login window. :-)

    > I've used PostgreSQL on Windows, too, which works alright overall.
    > One thing that really harmed performance for me on Windows, though,
    > was virus scanners and Pointsec, which does full HD encryption -- the
    > combination of virus scanning every read/write + encryption really
    > applies the brakes. Speaking of encryption, do you have File Vault
    > turned on under OS X? If so, is your Parallels VM running on that
    > file system? I'd imagine that would really harm performance.

    I don't have FileVault active, and I really have no issue with
    performance of PostgreSQL running on the Parallels virtual machine
    other than for this task.

    I will try to collect the same log also from our deployment server,
    that is on a Solaris zone c/o Joyent.

    I will keep you updated.

    Thanks for your attention.

    Best regards,