Re: Raw XML vs. Cayenne GUI

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..aniatis.org)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 05:24:19 EDT

    On 26/09/2007, at 9:57 AM, Chris Farnham wrote:

    > Do other people feel the same way I do?
    > If so, can Cayenne better support both modes of use?

    Sure.

    > I would like to see documentation and examples that are XML descriptor
    > centric as well as GUI centric.

    I think that would be useful to a number of people.

    > I also think that it'd be an interesting project to look at the
    > current
    > XML syntax and make it a little more user/text-editor friendly. I
    > have
    > no concrete ideas on this latter point but I've been playing around
    > with
    > DSLs in other areas and it might be neat to either streamline
    > Cayenne's
    > XML syntax or create a DSL. Either of these could be transformed into
    > the current XML syntax.

    The advantage of XML is that there are any number of ways to author
    the content.

    > I only raise this issue because I've enjoyed using Cayenne and would
    > like to see it improve.

    Such a thing would probably help other people and improve the
    usability of Cayenne. Perhaps you'd like to start a page here:

    http://cwiki.apache.org/CAY/

    Eventually this could be merged into the main documentation.

    Ari Maniatis

    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8