Re: Tutorial Mapping Query

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2007 - 05:53:14 EDT

    On Oct 27, 2007, at 3:27 AM, Mikaël Cluseau wrote:

    > Didn't knew that, since 3.0 should implement JPA one day...

    The way we handled it till now is by separating JDK 1.5 and 1.4
    pieces in development to keep support for JDK 1.4 for the existing
    users. The 3.0 cayenne-server.jar is a mix of 1.4 and 1.5 classes,
    with later being either JPA-related stuff or optional extensions like
    enum extended types. But never mind what I just said :-). The
    decision has been made to go 1.5 all the way after 3.0M2, so we will
    be taking advantage of generics after that.

    Regarding API ease of use... yes, some of the complexity emerged over
    time as we started to abstract things more (like the NamedQuery that
    allowed us to simplify ObjectContext interface). So 3.0 may be the
    time to address that, providing a new set of user-friendly API on top
    of all the new abstractions. This discussion came up a few times on
    the dev and user lists, with the latest round being this:

       https://issues.apache.org/cayenne/browse/CAY-877

    Certainly lets keep this discussion going.

    Cheers,
    Andrus