Populating JTable and JList with data

From: Phoenix Hawk (phoenixhaw..mail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2007 - 22:03:06 EST

    Hi there...

    Background: using Cayenne 2.0.3 with NetBeans 5.5.1 (JDK 1.5) on Windows XP
    SP2...
    I have used the Cayenne Modeler to perform a reverse engineering on my
    existing database following the online tutorial.

    I am new to the java programming "model", previously I am doing C/C++, perl,
    php, tcl/tk, I have to pickup Java myself to do a prototype...

    My task is to read data from a MSSQL 2005 database and display it on a Java
    desktop application. There is no need to put any data back ( *whew* ) which
    is also why I did not want to use iBatis or Hibernate (they are too heavy, I
    feel)... :)

    I am stuck at how I can display the results of my query (which I am able to
    print on the debugging console using System.out.println) on the application.

    Does anyone have a code snippet or a link (I have looked at the Cayenne
    petstore, examples on the wiki, but none of them have what I want, or maybe
    I do not understand enough Java) that shows how the results of a query can
    be used to populate a JTable and a JList? Or maybe there is a better way
    instead of using JTable or JList?

    I would be very grateful for any advice or pointers... I think I'm at the
    limit of my learning capacity after 3 days of intensive searching/learning,
    my brains feel like they are not mine anymore... :P

    Thank you very much... :)

    pH