Example Project for ROP on Glassfish using Netbeans 6.0

From: Adam Yocum (adamyocu..ahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2007 - 17:50:01 EST

    Hi,

      Here is a link to an example project for ROP on Glassfish using the Netbeans 6.0 IDE's integrated Glassfish server...

      http://www.spotted-lizard.com/online/J2EENetbeansCayenne.zip

      Instructions to run....

      This example will not work if you set up Glassfish on any port other that the default 8080

      Download latest Netbeans 6.0 full bundle that includes the Glassfish web server and Java DB, the database engine used for the example.

      Install Netbeans.

      Unzip zip file provided at link above somewhere.

      Open all three projects inside the folder created...

      First Right Click and 'Run' the project named CayenneWebApp
      This will deploy and start the Cayenne Hessian Servlet.

      Wait until it starts a Web browser window with a message in it.

      Now Right Click and 'Run' the project named CayenneClientAPI
      This runs a very small client app that outputs some info from the Sample Travel database included with netbeans. I created the API classes just by reverse engineering the sample DB. :) using Cayenne Modeler.

      This example is not to show how to use Cayenne features, but only how to set up ROP on Glassfish.

      I have this setup working with a remote Glassfish server running on linux for hosting some software for running a screen printing business, anyone ever get t shirts made for Cayenne yet? I can help with that, just ask. Or go to spottedlizardprinting.com to check it out.

      It was very easy to install on the remote server using netbeans services to admin the server right from inside netbeans.

      Use of the Java DB (Derby) was because it was there and ready to go with install of netbeans. I use MySQL on the remote server. It links together a php web app with a t shirt design studio and the backend order system. The client for the business software is all JDBC mixed with some generated classes I made with a ORM tool I custom developed (nothing special) running inside Netbeans Platform, but I will be switching to Cayenne now for the data persistence.

      Thanks,
      Adam