questions

From: Eric Polino (aluin..mail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 13:48:05 EST

    I've started using Cayenne a few weeks ago for our project,
    www.campgroundautomation.com. In the process of working with it, I've
    come across a few things I don't understand. After reading the API
    and the UserGuide, can't find much to help me.

    1. How do I count the rows of a query, without actually doing a full
    blown SelectQuery and counting the elements? ie: select count(*) from
    table;
    2. I've read in many places how Cayenne deals with joins for you, but
    nowhere do I see an example of how its done. Here's an example
    problem I'm dealing with.

    Schema:

    Reservation (n to 1) Site
    Site (n to 1)
    Site contains a type field

    I want to get all the Reservations of a given for a given type of
    site. In sql I would execute something like, "select * from
    Reservation, Site, SiteType where SiteType.Name='Something' and
    Site.typeID = SiteType.id and Reservation.siteID = Site.id"

    Short of writing an parameterized sql string and executing that in my
    code, how do I do that with Cayenne? I hope I explained all that well
    enough...make sense?

    TIA,
    Eric

    --
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they
    are free."

    "Freedom is living without government coercion." --Ron Paul (www.ronpaul2008.com)