Re: How to migrate from Hibernate to Cayenne?

From: Malcolm Edgar (malcolm.edga..mail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2008 - 17:37:57 EST

    <rant>

    Well personally I think the whole POJO thing has been completely over
    done. Sure EJB entity beans were not much fun, but saying everything
    should now extend java.util.Object is stupid. With persistence API
    entities need a bunch of support, you can use Cayenne model where you
    subclass intelligent objects, or you can use "black magic" runtime
    byte code enhancement. I prefer the former because I can drill
    through the code, and use a debugger. However all the fashion now days
    it to go down the byte code enhancement path.

    This is particularly stupid with Web frameworks, which have recently
    adopted this fashion. Now you see POJO's being used as a kind of a
    page, with a bunch of annotations, maybe some XML configuration files,
    and then some special byte code enhancement. No decent windowing UI
    framework has ever taken this approach Dephi, Swing, Flex.

    The thing that I find really ironic, is that the Hibernate guys who
    were using reflection previously bet the crap out of JDO camp, because
    JDO were using invasive post compilation byte code enhancement. Now
    Hibernate now are using runtime byte code enhancement, but have still
    manage to kill JDO, and create a new JPA based on their design.

    </rant>

    regards Malcolm Edgar