RE: Stored proc returning result set (and output params) with MS SQL server

From: Marc Gabriel-Willem (marc.gabriel-wille..ide-international.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 03:59:21 EDT

    Hello Andrus,

    In our test cases, the manual transaction did not avoid the exception in
    error condition! So it is impossible to use the QueryResponse.

    Please find below the stack trace of the error:

    INFO QueryLogger: --- will run 1 query.
    INFO QueryLogger: --- transaction started.
    INFO QueryLogger: {? = call spGetXXX(?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)}
    [bind: NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL,
    INFO QueryLogger: *** error.
    java.sql.SQLException: Uncommittable transaction is detected at the end
    of the batch. The transaction is rolled back.
            at
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.SQLDiagnostic.addDiagnostic(SQLDiagnostic.java
    :368)
            at
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.tdsErrorToken(TdsCore.java:2816)
            at
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.nextToken(TdsCore.java:2254)
            at
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.getMoreResults(TdsCore.java:636)
            at
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsStatement.processResults(JtdsStatement.jav
    a:584)
            at
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsStatement.cacheResults(JtdsStatement.java:
    632)
            at
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsResultSet.next(JtdsResultSet.java:594)
            at
    org.apache.cayenne.access.jdbc.JDBCResultIterator.checkNextRow(JDBCResul
    tIterator.java:268)
            at
    org.apache.cayenne.access.jdbc.JDBCResultIterator.<init>(JDBCResultItera
    tor.java:91)
            at
    org.apache.cayenne.access.jdbc.BaseSQLAction.readResultSet(BaseSQLAction
    .java:68)
            at
    org.apache.cayenne.dba.sqlserver.SQLServerProcedureAction.performAction(
    SQLServerProcedureAction.java:86)
            at
    org.apache.cayenne.access.DataNodeQueryAction.runQuery(DataNodeQueryActi
    on.java:59)
            at
    org.apache.cayenne.access.DataNode.performQueries(DataNode.java:273)
            at
    org.apache.cayenne.access.DataDomainQueryAction.runQuery(DataDomainQuery
    Action.java:301)
            at
    org.apache.cayenne.access.DataDomainQueryAction.access$000(DataDomainQue
    ryAction.java:60)
            at
    org.apache.cayenne.access.DataDomainQueryAction$1.transform(DataDomainQu
    eryAction.java:273)
            at
    org.apache.cayenne.access.DataDomain.runInTransaction(DataDomain.java:82
    6)
            at
    org.apache.cayenne.access.DataDomainQueryAction.runQueryInTransaction(Da
    taDomainQueryAction.java:270)
            at
    org.apache.cayenne.access.DataDomainQueryAction.execute(DataDomainQueryA
    ction.java:110)
            at
    org.apache.cayenne.access.DataDomain.onQuery(DataDomain.java:746)
            at
    org.apache.cayenne.util.ObjectContextQueryAction.runQuery(ObjectContextQ
    ueryAction.java:217)
            at
    org.apache.cayenne.access.DataContextQueryAction.execute(DataContextQuer
    yAction.java:54)
            at
    org.apache.cayenne.access.DataContext.onQuery(DataContext.java:1395)
            at
    org.apache.cayenne.access.DataContext.performGenericQuery(DataContext.ja
    va:1350)
            at
    com.sideinternational.sas.database.AbstractSecureStatement.exec(Abstract
    SecureStatement.java:83)
            at
    com.sideinternational.sas.database.SecureQuery.execute(SecureQuery.java:
    69)
            at
    com.sideinternational.sas.database.SecureQuery.executeQuery(SecureQuery.
    java:203)
            at
    com.sideinternational.sas.database.SecureQuery.execute(SecureQuery.java:
    130)
            at
    test.jdbc.MSSQLProcedureTest.testGetXXX(MSSQLProcedureTest.java:104)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown
    Source)
            at
    org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.junit3.JUnit3TestReference.run(JUn
    it3TestReference.java:128)
            at
    org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.TestExecution.run(TestExecution.ja
    va:38)
            at
    org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTe
    stRunner.java:460)
            at
    org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTe
    stRunner.java:673)
            at
    org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.run(RemoteTestRun
    ner.java:386)
            at
    org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.main(RemoteTestRu
    nner.java:196)

    Here is an extract of our source code:

    Transaction tx = pm_context.getParentDataDomain().createTransaction();
    Transaction.bindThreadTransaction(tx);

    QueryResponse result;
    try {
       System.out.println("Before performGenericQuery");
       result = pm_context.performGenericQuery(m_procedureQuery);
       System.out.println("After performGenericQuery");
    } finally {
       try {
           // here you can be smarter and do a commit/rollback
           // based on the SP output if you care
           tx.rollback();
    } catch (Exception e) {
       throw new RuntimeException(e);
    }
    Transaction.bindThreadTransaction(null);
    }

    Obviously, the display "After performGenericQuery" is never executed
    when error situation occurred (the date conversion problem).

    Thank you again for your help.

    Marc Gabriel