Fwd: Query.setRefreshingObjects(boolean)

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sat May 03 2008 - 11:57:31 EDT

    Figured I'd resend the message to this list to get more feedback. Do
    many people find this API useful?

    My main motivation for removal of this API is to reduce confusion. It
    overlaps with query caching and the subtle difference between
    "setRefreshingObjects" and "setCachePolicy" is unclear to many users.
    At the same time the later does not *directly* replace the former, and
    I can see how under some very special circumstances
    "setRefreshingObjects(false)" could yield marginally better
    performance (e.g. a set of queries with a large # of combinations of
    parameters, but all searching the same underlying data set that rarely
    changes), but IMO that does not justify the confusion it leaves...

    So I guess a more specific question is - does anyone's application
    heavily rely on this optimization and will suffer if we get rid of it
    in the sake of better clarity?

    Andrus

    Begin forwarded message: