Re: [POLL] loading XML configurations from filesystem

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue May 20 2008 - 13:44:24 EDT

    On May 20, 2008, at 8:33 PM, Kevin Menard wrote:

    > I have all of my Persistent objects in one module that bundles up
    > the DataMap. Each app that uses them provides its own DataNode. It
    > makes deployment to different environments really nice. It also
    > lets me swap out test and production DataNodes really simply.
    >
    > I'm not married to that one way of doing things, but I would like to
    > see that use case addressed somehow.

    Addressing it in a Modeler-friendly fashion is the whole point here.
    The idea is to get rid of workarounds like yours (or cdeploy Ant
    task). Here is a Wiki link to the raw design description of this
    feature:

        http://cwiki.apache.org/CAY/runtime-metadata-merging.html

    So you'll simply have multiple full Cayenne projects (one per module
    that define DataMaps, and one in the application that defines
    DataNodes and links DataMaps to them). Each project can be opened and
    manipulated in the modeler independently from each other. So it makes
    possible environment-agnostic "Cayenne libraries" (or "persistence
    units" in JPA speak) that can be combined with other such libraries
    and shared between the projects.

    Andrus