Cayenne and JAX-WS / JAXB

From: Jon Sharp (jo..ampgroundautomation.com)
Date: Mon May 26 2008 - 19:51:15 EDT

    Hello all,

    We are using Cayenne 3.0M3 for ORM in our project and are exposing
    this database using SOAP Web Services. We're using the latest Sun
    Metro stack (1.2), consisting of the JAX-WS and JAXB frameworks. In
    attempting to use Cayenne Data objects as either return types or
    method parameters for our defined..ebMethod's, we are greeted with an
    error that indicates JAXB does not handle interfaces. For those who
    may not be familiar with JAX-WS/JAXB, JAXB is responsible for
    marshalling java objects into XML, and this is of course necessary for
    use in SOAP web services provided by the JAX-WS framework. According
    to https://jaxb.dev.java.net/guide/Mapping_interfaces.html, there are
    some solutions for this issue, but it appears that it may involve code
    changes to Cayenne. I'm not a Cayenne developer, so I cannot say how
    feasible or practical this approach may be. Perhaps someone could
    comment on that, but more important to me at this point is determining
    whether anyone has been successful in marshalling cayenne data objects
    to XML using JAXB?

    Thanks,
    Jon

    --