Re: NamedQuery / SQLTemplate keyPath validation

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2008 - 03:31:16 EDT

    Hi Andrus,

    thanks for the reply...

    > there is nothing there that would let you do that outside the
    > context of query execution. One reason why we never pursued such
    > functionality is because ... well, such context is needed:
    >
    > * you need a place to stick joins as you walk the expression path
    > * you need a way to match bound variables against "?" in prepared
    > statement (we don't do conversion from Date to String for instance,
    > as there is no sane way to do that for all databases; we let JDBC
    > driver handle bindings)
    > * you need access to specific DbAdapter to generate correct SQL and
    > correctly process bindings.

    okay.

    Perhaps I should describe what I'm actually doing. All I need is a way
    to get a count of a select query (without having to fault in all the
    related objects). So is there a way to trigger that, in order to just
    get a count back, with a SelectQuery without going the sqltemplate or
    namedquery route?

    > The closest thing to what you describe is a procedure of translation
    > of an EJBQL query (which is logically, but not semantically is a
    > close analog of SelectQuery) to SQLTemplate. It is also done in the
    > context of query execution, but with some effort it can probably be
    > converted to a standalone SQLTemplate without execution.

    Would that help here?

    Sorry the subject was misleading... I ended up changing the body from
    its original - where I was finding that foreign keys in the expression
    were being validated and it was throwing an exception because they
    weren't public members... but that's another (albeit related) topic.

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck