List methods returned from a paged query

From: Øyvind Harboe (oyvind.harbo..ylin.com)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2008 - 05:07:36 EDT

    A query returns a List. This always seemed too broad an
    interface for that return value to me.

    There are two things that I dare do with the list that is returned:

    - iterate over it
    - ask for it's size()

    A List promises so many things:

    - can I modify the list?
    - can I check if the list contains an object?
    - are there any rules w.r.t. thread access/synchronisation?
    - can I compare the list to another list(all objects in Java implement equals)?

    Consider contains() for IncrementalFaultList(paged query). It *could*
    return false even if the query returned the object. Or rather, if I add
    weak references to IncrementalFaultList and do not modify it it
    could.

        /**
         *..ee java.util.Collection#contains(Object)
         */
        public boolean contains(Object o) {
            synchronized (elements) {
                return elements.contains(o);
            }
        }

    The applications I work on use only the Iterable interface,
    even if performQuery() returns a List and then only from
    a single thread.

    --
    Øyvind Harboe
    http://www.zylin.com/zy1000.html