Memory usage and select statements

From: Øyvind Harboe (oyvind.harbo..ylin.com)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2008 - 04:54:59 EDT

    An SQL statement includes a list of which columns to fetch for
    the query.

    Consider a table "book" with three columns, id(pk), title(<100 chars)
    and content(the entire text of the book).

    SELECT id, title FROM book

    If one of the columns are big and rarely used, then it makes little
    sense to transfer it to the client from the database for every
    query. E.g. above the entire text of the book is left out.

    The difference in memory usage can be quite dramatic.

    Can I do the same w/Cayenne?

    Can I have the columns fetched on-demand?

    I'd like to avoid hardcoded SQL templates obviously.

    SelectTranslator.createSqlString() unconditionally adds all
    columns...

    --
    Øyvind Harboe
    http://www.zylin.com/zy1000.html