Re: Loading small tables into memory for the application lifetime

From: Øyvind Harboe (oyvind.harbo..ylin.com)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2008 - 13:28:41 EDT

    I guess what I'm looking for is to have a writeback cache where entire
    tables are loaded into memory upon startup of the application.

    The tables and their content don't actually take up that much memory +
    the memory is allocated upon startup so there are no surprises later
    on by memory peak usage. Actual memory usage doesn't matter as much
    as being able to know precisely what to set maximum heap to & knowing
    how much physical memory to install.

    Of course that would require Cayenne to be able to run queries against
    tables in memory...

    Cayenne is capable of resolving to-one relationships for objects that
    are in memory, but to-many require a query to the database even
    if all the resulting records are cached in memory already.

    Or... I could be barking up the wrong tree... again.... I've been
    pondering whether to modify the logger not to show queries that
    take less than n ms. I never measured how long it actually
    takes to log a query.... This sort of caching is what I would have
    expected databases to have done to death...

    --
    Øyvind Harboe
    http://www.zylin.com/zy1000.html