Re: estimating proper object cache size

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2008 - 09:43:58 EDT

    On 05/07/2008, at 11:51 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > Yes it won't. SelectQuery always refreshes objects in the cache,
    > unless you call 'setRefreshingObjects(true)' (I am actually thinking
    > of deprecating this method).

    Does that mean that this page [1] is incorrect when it says:

    The query cache is designed to improve performance of SelectQueries
    returning large result sets (by saving on sql execution and object
    faulting). Paging is another way of improving speed of large list
    queries, and it works nicely together with the query cache.

    Should that be changed? If you deprecate setRefreshingObjects() when
    exactly does the query cache help?

    > Shared object cache (actually this is DataRow cache) as opposed to
    > query list cache, is intended for relationship resolving, and
    > creating updates. So when you run a straight query, generally it has
    > no effect.

    What do you mean here by 'creating updates'?

    I'd like to get as much of this information into that doc pages as
    possible, as I think there are still a few grey areas about caching.

    Ari

    [1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CAYDOC/Caching+and+Fresh+Data

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001