Re: Update in cascade

From: Francois Eyl (fey..maeur.com)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2008 - 09:47:11 EDT

    First, you have to know that I have no control on the database
    architecture because this is a customer's database (poor and old
    existing database).

    So, in this database, unfortunately, Name field is PK, and I have no
    choice, I need to do a rename even if it is a PK.

    Thanks.

    Francois

    Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

    > On 01/08/2008, at 10:05 PM, Francois Eyl wrote:
    >
    >> What I need is, to change the Name (PK) value of my object, and here
    >> I need to change the Name in every related object. But I need to do
    >> this on the same SQL transaction.
    >
    > The question you'll probably get back from many people is: why are you
    > trying to change the PK of the object? That is supposed to be the one
    > immutable property of the object. If you are changing the PK of
    > existing objects in your database, you may need to rethink your
    > strategy. On the whole, avoid using meaningful data as the primary key
    > and your job will be much simpler. Cayenne gives you a range of
    > options to automatically create nearly sequential primary keys.
    >
    > Ari Maniatis

    > ish
    > http://www.ish.com.au
    > phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001
    > GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C 5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A

    Ce message a ete verifie par l'antivirus de MDaemon 5 .

    Par precaution, n'ouvrez pas de pieces jointes de correspondants inconnus.