Re: Handling of database NULL - default value column to modeler?

From: Michael Gentry (blacknex..mail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2008 - 12:57:53 EDT

    Say you overrode the getter ... if null, return default value. This
    wouldn't flag the object as having been changed, so if you
    commitChanges() -- without making other changes, this object wouldn't
    be pushed back t the DB.

    I'm not sure what the correct (as in expected) behavior would be if
    the Modeler had a default value column. Should Cayenne check for NULL
    and then SET the value (ensuring it is modified)? Should Cayenne just
    check for NULLs in the getter and return the default value (not
    modifying the object)? I just know some would expect it to work one
    way and others the other way.

    /dev/mrg