Cayenne, XML objects and JDBC 4

From: Stephen Winnall (stev..innall.ch)
Date: Fri Sep 12 2008 - 19:42:52 EDT

    I have just discovered Cayenne and would love to use it for a project
    I am working on, but I can't find a way to do something which is
    essential for the project: I want to be able to store and manipulate
    XML objects in the database via JDBC 4. I'm currently using PostgreSQL
    8.3 and have managed to create an XML attribute in a table which other
    Java programs can access, but the Cayenne Modeller can't see it. I'm
    using the latest JDBC 4 from PostgreSQL (8.3-603), and SQuirreL-SQL
    and Aqua Data Studio can see the XML attribute. Cayenne Modeller
    3.0M4, using the same JDBC 4 JAR, cannot see the attribute. (Just to
    complete the picture, I'm running under Mac OS X 10.5 with Java 1.5).

    Am I right in assuming that Cayenne has not yet implemented access to
    XML attributes? Is there a known timescale for remedying this? Or can
    someone point me at a dummy's guide to how to do it with Cayenne?

    I was trying to decide whether to use Hibernate or iBatis when I
    discovered Cayenne. If Cayenne isn't going to support XML attributes
    via JDBC 4 in the short term I'll have to go back to one of the other
    two. With regret, be it said, because Cayenne seems to be a great
    little product.

    Steve