Re: Insert at a particular position in the detail list

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2008 - 10:48:41 EDT

    On Sep 26, 2008, at 2:41 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:

    > Wouldn't it be a good idea for the generated methods to have the
    > extra int argument?

    It is a bit more involved than that. The problem with including this
    in Cayenne is that it won't work in a more general case. E.g. if you
    add an object at a particular index, and the master object is later
    invalidated and refetched, the order will be lost. Or if it is
    refetched by another user. So Scott's answer was essentially correct.

    We tried to solve it from another angle, by defining a certain column
    as the "ordering" column to instruct Cayenne to order fetched
    relationship lists. It is still on the table, but it is also hairy...

    For now I can't think of a clean generic solution that would map to a
    DB. The ordering column is the closest I can think of.

    Thanks,
    Andrus