Re: Cayenne, XML objects and JDBC 4

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2008 - 11:04:48 EDT

    We did some research on SQLXML. The summary is this: whatever JDBC4
    compatibility claims various driver vendors are making, none of them
    includes actual support for SQLXML (with a possible exception of DB2).
    Whatever "support" you saw in other tools is probably just treating
    those columns as String (which Cayenne does just fine as well).

    We can fake it on Cayenne end bby implementing our own in-memory
    SQLXML class mapped to a character column. This seems pretty
    meaningless though, as the user can read XML from a String and back
    just as easily. We may still do that fake SQLXML, but for now we'll
    probably wait for the drivers to catch up.

    Here is some relevant links:

       https://issues.apache.org/cayenne/browse/CAY-1107
       http://markmail.org/message/o2nmvf2o47vte7ee

    Cheers,