Re: restricting qualifiers turned off?

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2008 - 08:45:01 EST

    > On Nov 11, 2008, at 2:30 PM, Lachlan Deck wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah and should you share that model in a framework/lib between
    >> more than one app it really needs to be optional.
    >
    > I really don't see how you can make it "optional". Entity qualifier
    > is not optional by design. It is either mapped or not.

    That's what I meant. Applied instead by some means during ObjEntity
    registration during app launch. I'm not aware of what hooks are
    available for this purpose in Cayenne. But I'd prefer to pull them out
    if the below suggestion was available instead.

    > I have a solution in mind for the "library" case - smart mapping
    > overrides. So that a piece of shared mapping could be modified as
    > needed by the downstream users, with full reuse of the library
    > mapping. I started developing that as I needed to customize
    > listeners per project, but I am sure it can be put to good use in
    > many other cases.
    >
    > If you need both qualified and unqualified entity in the same
    > project, then the more I think about it the more I am convinced that
    > a solution is to map this as two entities.

    What about what I suggested before? i.e., the delegate option (or
    something similar) where you can optionally inject an auxiliary
    expression and/or orderings (if null) for each query. Mapping separate
    entities sounds like it would make it difficult to re-use existing
    logic for an entity.

    e.g., by default a fetch of objects would apply a restricting
    qualifier (e.g., for public viewing) but the background service I'm
    working on picks up a list of records that were committed and seeks to
    operate on them even if they were marked as deleted.

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck