Re: First time writer/Design ideas

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Sun Mar 01 2009 - 21:32:04 EST

    On 02/03/2009, at 5:38 AM, Dave Lamy wrote:

    > What pitfalls/concerns would you voice regarding a completely
    > programmatic
    > Configuration/DataMap buildup? The plan is for the entire cayenne
    > model,
    > data nodes and all, to be built up in code during system init (hot
    > model
    > deploys are for another day).

    It is certainly possible since all the functions you need are exposed
    in Cayenne. But it isn't going to be a trivial amount of work. And are
    you sure you aren't creating an "inner-platform"? [1] and [2] That is,
    you are reinventing Cayenne Modeler but without the modeler...

    > Is it possible to work with/customize Cayenne in such a way that I
    > could
    > make use of many of the ORM concepts (dirty-object management,
    > caching, etc)
    > but inject code in the correct places to do customized find/persist
    > routines?

    I'm not sure exactly what you want to customise, but for comparison,
    we have a technique to build a list of possible search paths in our UI
    controllers. They are then automatically presented in the GUI as a
    list of searchable options and can nicely tie into 'saved searches'.
    So effectively, they represent a wrapper around query possibilities
    which make presenting a simple GUI easy. If you subclass the
    CayenneContext, you'll be able to intercept queries and perform
    additional validation or make changes to them before Cayenne executes
    those queries.

    I'm not sure I've answered many of your questions, but perhaps if you
    describe the more specific things you want to achieve, someone will be
    able to help.

    Regards
    Ari

    [1] http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/The_Inner-Platform_Effect.aspx
    [2] http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/The-Expert-System.aspx

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001