Re: First time writer/Design ideas

From: Dave Lamy (davelam..mail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 02 2009 - 12:17:50 EST

    Thanks for the quick responses guys.

    Ari-- I hear you. Your concerns are perfectly valid and it's definitely
    something I'm trying to tightrope. We are in the (probably customary)
    position of being a small custom-software company that has aspirations to be
    more than that. We've had several false-starts on a truly reusable
    framework across clients, which is OK (at least we *have* clients), but our
    current development cycles aren't conducive to growth. In the meantime our
    visionary CEO is constantly looking for how software we've written can be
    repurposed for another client, which is where all of the antipatterns you've
    mentioned begin to creep in.. the only way to truly repurpose is to
    genericize.

    All of that said (and I've been around these sorts of projects before).. I'm
    not getting the "uh oh" feeling quite yet. The main reason behind a
    separate modeller is because of the cross-platform data source concept I
    mentioned, so the scoping is different. It's an idea that may gain traction
    down the road but I'm not putting an ounce of dependency on it at this
    time.. like I said, I'm working backwards from a cayenne model at this point
    and it works fine. The runtime code is using a generic DataObject class
    *most* of the time, but I do have some situations where attempting to
    describe a complicated object relationship in generic terms would lead to
    the Expert System problem so I can back down to a concrete class. The nice
    thing about Cayenne is I have the option.

    Our biggest integrations are Alfresco for ECM and Mule as a bus. The Mule
    services operate as "real" code, working off of interfaces. The Cayenne
    data objects can either a) implement that interface directly if a concrete
    class is provided, or b) be implemented dynamically via a Proxy if generic.
    The nice thing about this approach, I think, is that we can start small
    (implement all entity types if needed) and work our way towards the more
    generic solution. I still contend that if we could move 80% of a particular
    client's needs into a common codebase, and custom develop the remaining 20%,
    then we will be doing great.

    Have you guys dealt with a query situation like the one I described (cross
    database or cross platform)? What have you found works best? I could also
    consider data synchronization across Alfresco and our internal DB for query
    purposes..