Re: Coming from EOF: Cayenne vs Hibernate

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 19:18:01 EDT

    On 12/03/2009, at 9:04 AM, Francisco Peredo wrote:

    > Hi!I really wonder why nobody has built something like Cayenne on
    > top of JPA,
    > I mean, it should be clear that Cayenne is higher level API that
    > offers a
    > lot of advantages..

    Andrus has already spent a vast amount of time on moving Cayenne
    toward JPA compliance. It is not a goal for 3.0 because other more
    important issues are being addressed first. Even though quite a lot of
    JPA already works, as you know with the JSR process, you can't be
    'almost compliant'. Cayenne will only be able to be advertised as JPA
    compliant when all the tests pass.

    As for inheritance, Cayenne already supports single table inheritance
    and vertical/horizontal are probably only some months away.

    Finally, don't be scared by the 3.0M6 naming. It is certainly stable
    enough to be used in production, however there is no guarantee that
    the API is finalised. So if you use the milestone you may need to
    alter your code slightly for the next milestone.

    Regards
    Ari

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001