Re: Object state after persist: consistent with JPA?

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Thu Mar 12 2009 - 18:33:26 EDT

    On 13/03/2009, at 5:12 AM, Francisco Peredo wrote:

    > As I stated before, I really think someone should build a Cayenne
    > like API
    > that used any JPA compliant as its internal storage engine, JPA is
    > just too
    > low level

    That doesn't really make sense because JPA is a description of an
    interface, not an internal structure or storage engine. JPA is a
    specification for how an ORM should present to the user, not how that
    ORM works internally. And because the JPA was largely modelled around
    Hibernate, it looks a lot like Hibernate: for example, the lifecycle
    events don't quite make sense (and are even less sensible in ROP).

    If you are going to keep your code using JPA, I don't really see a
    huge benefit for you to move away from Hibernate. After all, it meets
    the specification. If on the other hand, you don't like the way it
    works and want the benefits of the Cayenne API, then you'll need to
    rewrite some code in your application. Only you can determine whether
    the effort is worth it. You could certainly try Cayenne as a JPA
    provider and see if it works for your needs as an interim step, but
    you aren't going to derive a lot of benefit from that approach.

    For what it is worth, there are a few EOF refugees here. In a parallel
    universe where Apple and Andrus were on JSR-220, the final JPA
    specification might have looked more like the Cayenne and EOF API.

    Ari Maniatis

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001