Re: "Can't get primary key from temporary id" :(

From: Michael Gentry (mgentr..asslight.net)
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 08:37:16 EDT

    It sounds like you are trying to write a record into a log/audit
    table. Have you looked at MySQL triggers to do this? The advantage
    of using a trigger is that even if someone changes it outside of
    Cayenne (the mysql> prompt, etc) the audit table will still be
    populated. Much safer to do it this way if you care about actual
    auditing.

    As for exposing primary keys to the user...it might be fine for a blog
    or similar, but in the work I do it is a big taboo. It identifies too
    much information that could lead to a data breach if you have a
    problem with your application's security. I would only be
    semi-comfortable exposing a primary key if it were encrypted by a
    private key that changed per-session.

    Just my thoughts...

    mrg