Reengineering Overwrites

From: Weddle, Anthony (Anthony.Weddl..luescopesteel.com)
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 23:18:47 EDT

    We occasionally make database schema changes. We also modify some of the
    attributes of ObjEntity entries. It looks like a reverse engineering run
    would ignore any changes to ObjEntity entries. Is there any way to have
    changes merged?

    With Hibernate, we use middlegen to generate the classes, directly from
    the database schema. But there is an indermediate step that allows us to
    modify such things as relationship cardinality and directionality,
    superclasses, ID generation strategy and extended types. These changes
    are stored in an XML file so that they are read and used in the next
    middlegen run. Is there a way to have such local customisations retained
    with Cayenne Modeler?

    The point may be moot, however, as reverse engineering the databases
    doesn't seem to overwrite existing classes, anyway, instead generating a
    new class with the name suffixed by a number.

    Cheers,

    Tony