Problem with Connection Pooling - only one connection gets used

From: Detlef Burt (the.freakazoi..mx.net)
Date: Thu Apr 23 2009 - 05:09:56 EDT

    Hi List,

    Before I start, here's what we currently use:
    Cayenne 2.0.4
    MSSQL Server 2005 with jTDS Driver

    In our application we define the following connection pool:
    cayenne.dbcp.driverClassName=net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver
    cayenne.dbcp.url=jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://darkside:1433/mdb
    cayenne.dbcp.username=dbuser
    cayenne.dbcp.password=dbpassword
    cayenne.dbcp.maxActive=10
    cayenne.dbcp.minIdle=3
    cayenne.dbcp.maxIdle=10
    cayenne.dbcp.maxWait=10000

    When starting the application everything works fine, we can see 3
    connections to the MSSQL Server.
    The Problem is, only one of these connections is used. Because we used
    external transactions, we disabled them to let cayenne do the
    committing, but that didn't help either. The only result was, that data
    wasn't written to the database.

    We also tried recreating the DataContext every time we access the
    database, nothing helped.

    Neither the DBCPDataSourceFactor nor the Cayenne DriverDataSourceFactory
    return an unused connection.

    So now my question is:
    How does Cayenne handle the connection pool? Is there a way to always
    get an unused connection? Or at least determine why cayenne is always
    using the same connection?

    Thanks,
    Detlef