Re: Cayenne logging

From: Andrey Razumovsky (razumovsky.andre..mail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 15 2009 - 04:38:34 EDT

    You certainly need not recompile anything and there's no need for
    logging.properties file, only log4j configuration. Just setup log4j as
    specified: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html

    2009/6/13 Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwi..arthlink.net>

    > Andrey,
    >
    > Yes, it sounds like your suggestion is the next best option to try.. (When
    > Andrus said that he thought that log4j was an abandoned project, I became
    > hesitant about relying on it as a stable component for the future.)
    >
    > I recall reading that the docs for Tomcat 6 say that it is not included by
    > default and that you have to compile the source and configure a few things.
    >
    > I am trying to remember why it was that I was putting off goofing around
    > with logging until the very end of my project. :)
    >
    > Which one do you suggest, and can I borrow your properties file? :)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Joe
    >

    > On Jun 13, 2009, at 2:10 AM, Andrey Razumovsky wrote:
    >
    > Hi Joe!
    >>
    >> As far as I know, Juli is a weak logging system. For instance, I haven't
    >> found any rolling file appenders, so my logs grew endlessly. I will not be
    >> surprised if it doesn't support optional package loading. I reccomend you
    >> switch to Log4j or something.
    >>
    >> Andrey
    >>
    >> 2009/6/12 Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwi..arthlink.net>
    >>
    >> Andrus,
    >>>
    >>> I did quite a few tests yesterday and still cannot determine whether the
    >>> Tomcat logging.properties method will ever work.
    >>>
    >>> The directives that seem to work are as follows:
    >>>
    >>> handlers = org.apache.juli.FileHandler
    >>> org.apache.juli.FileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
    >>> org.apache.juli.FileHandler.prefix = mywebapp.