Re: [Modeler] DbEntity:Primery Key:PK Generation Strategy - Is there any option for natural primary key?

From: gilbertoca (gilbertoc..mail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 10 2009 - 08:37:28 EDT

    Aristedes Maniatis-2 wrote:

    > I don't think using meaningful primary keys is something we want to
    > encourage so much that we put a checkbox in the GUI for it.

    Where did you see this intention in my question?

    Aristedes Maniatis-2 wrote:

    > The alternative method of creating them is easy enough.

    So, what is the difference?

    Aristedes Maniatis-2 wrote:

    > You don't need a PK generation strategy since, as the page you reference
    > states, you just need to put data in the PK field before you commit the
    > object.

    Again, where did you see this intention in my question? I don't think we are
    talking the same thing.
    Oh my God, I've forgot to mention that I modeling[1] and not doing reverse
    engineer from a existent database.

    I think
    DbEntity:Primery Key:->"PK Generation Strategy" is the option I have to tel
    cayenne modeler not generate any pk strategy for my table. The existent
    options [Default, Database-Generated and Custom Sequence] are strategies,
    but I don't want anyone! I have other alternative in Generate DB
    Schema:Options->Create PK Support, but it is for all my tables and I have
    only two tables with natural key.

    Aristedes Maniatis-2 wrote:

    > It is up to you to ensure that it is unique, deal with threading and
    > collisions.

    Are you saying that even though my table has the primary key - it doesn't
    matter natural or surrogate key - cayenne won't ensure that it is unique?

    One more question. While creating my DbEntities I didn't see an option for
    Unique Key Constraint. Is it a manual task?

    Thanks for you attention,

    Gilberto

    [1]http://www.nabble.com/-modeler--Generate-Database-Schema-doesn%27t-generate-every-relationship-to25276867.html