Memory Management using Tomcat

From: Joe Baldwin (jfbaldwi..arthlink.net)
Date: Wed Sep 16 2009 - 14:11:13 EDT

    Hi,

    I have asked this question a number of ways but I still have a very
    serious problem with Cayenne-specific memory management configuration
    associated with Tomcat.

    The problem with debugging is that given that I have very little
    visibility into the Cayenne memory management it is extremely
    difficult to debug this using conventional strategies. Also I am not
    requesting anything from the system that is terribly exceptional so I
    am attempting to use default settings as much as possible.

    My strategy is to ask the experts for a Cayenne configuration and
    standard memory management steps I should take to conform to the new
    Cayenne memory management design intentions.

    Problem:
    1. I have essentially a webstore, three tier design with Tomcat,
    Cayenne and MySQL.
    2. When after only a few queries of products, tomcat freezes up and
    reports out of memory errors.

    I have attempted to configure the caching strategy ask best as I can
    understand from the docks but this only gets me a few more hours of
    usage before the out of memory errors. (I tried the SHARED_CACHE).
    The NO_CACHE strategy is worse.

    I would appreciate a set of steps (aka a primer) that should handle a
    website with a lot of fetches of hundreds of data objects (i.e.
    products) and very few updates.

    Note: My gut feeling is that I am not properly managing the data
    object array properly and it is leaking memory.

    I would appreciate any input, but I would first like to know what the
    minimum require steps are for managing at data object result set
    ArrayList so as to properly cache and then properly free the memory
    after it is no longer needed.

    Context: Tomcat, MySQL, Cayenne 3.0M6

    Thanks,
    Joe Baldwin