Re: Cayenne and SqlLite, Cayenne 3.0 vs. 2.0

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..mail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 16 2009 - 17:53:49 EDT

    H2 has excellent support as an open source db. It's called H2
    because it's a rewrite of Hsqldb by the original author, as far as I
    can tell.

    Why go with a java database? A couple of reasons.

    1) You can "install" (or distribute) the db just by adding the jar
    file to the project, and specifying an appropriate jdbc url. No
    separate database configuration/installation/maintenance necessary.
    Hsqldb will even run entirely in memory with no file system access.
    Not as sure about h2.

    2) If there's a problem, you're more likely to be able to
    debug/identify and fix it as a java programmer, particularly since it
    can be a part of your actual application rather than a separate
    process.