Re: Cayenne and SqlLite, Cayenne 3.0 vs. 2.0

From: Michael Gentry (mgentr..asslight.net)
Date: Fri Oct 16 2009 - 18:50:50 EDT

    On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Eric Lazarus <ericllazaru..ahoo.com> wrote:
    > Thanks for all the help, folks!

    Welcome!

    > So, are people saying we should go with Cayenne 3.x and H2 or Apache Derby as our personal desktop data store? We didn't want to use anything that was unstable or incomplete but it is sounding like 3.x is what is current.

    Cayenne 3.0 is pretty stable, even if it is at M6. Whether it is
    incomplete or not probably depends on what you'd hope to find in 3.0.
    :-)

    > Who is using Apache Derby? Who is using SQLLite? What makes sense for us? Our goals are to get this out RAPIDLY and make it run on everything, install easily and make it easy for folks in the open source world to continue the development. The database must be invisible to the end user with no maintenance headaches.

    I know Apache Derby is embedded in Apache Geronimo. I don't know what
    JBoss/Glassfish/etc use. I've not had much experience with Derby, but
    it seemed to me to be bigger/heavier than H2 or HSQL. I don't know if
    it is more reliable or feature complete or easier to use, though.
    Some of that is subjective, anyway.