Re: DataObject expiring?

From: Bryan Lewis (jbryanlewi..mail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 05 2010 - 21:45:26 EST

    This rings a bit of a bell with me. We made our first big release with
    Cayenne 3.0 a couple of weeks ago (it went well, thank you) and saw a
    similar-sounding problem. It happened only intermittently and only on our
    production server. We could never reproduce it on our test server, let
    alone in a debugger.

    We had an object stored in the session. Our editor-page initialization code
    got the object and then the value of its to-one relationship. This related
    object would occasionally be null.

      StoryDetail object from session ---to-one---> Story (occasionally
    null)

    We couldn't pin down how to reproduce it. (The user it kept happening too
    works very remotely.) My guess was some kind of garbage collection. The
    user would enter a lot of text for several minutes and then save/refresh the
    page and get the NPE. The other hint was that the same code had never had a
    problem in two years with Cayenne 2. On the other hand, I was unable to
    reproduce it by adding explicit garbage collection calls so my guess could
    be off base.

    I worked around it by refetching the list of StoryDetails, with a prefetch
    on Story, so that the desired Story object would always be freshly fetched.