SubClassing DataObjects

From: Joe Baldwin (jfbaldwi..arthlink.net)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2010 - 11:54:06 EDT

    I have a question about management & usage of the data objects generated by Cayenne Modeler (CM).

    It is clear that the CM auto-generates classes that represent the entities built using CM (with the underscore prefix). In addition, it auto-generates a sub-class. Also, when any change is made via CM, the sub-classes are regenerated.

    I am a little unclear as to the intended management/usage of this sub-class. Any changes made to the auto-gen sub-class would be lost when the next CM change is made. So this leaves me with two options: I can either sub-class the sub-class (which does not look like the intended usage of the CM's work), or I can make a separate directory structure with the subclasses and then replace the auto-gen dir of sub-classes (which again does not look like the intended best use of the CM's work).

    So this leaves me with the notion that I may be misunderstanding how to manage the sub-classes and make permanent changes that will exist past the next CM code generation procedure.

    Thanks,
    Joe