Re: Cayenne Modeler - Local DataSources

From: Michael Gentry (mgentr..asslight.net)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2010 - 14:01:50 EDT

    I did 1.a ... after I got the preferences restored/working, I set up
    everything the way I wanted and then did a backup in Time Machine so
    I'd have a working version again if I had to restore.

    For 3.1, we'll be switching over to the Java Preferences API instead
    of XML files.

    mrg

    On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwi..arthlink.net> wrote:
    > Michael,
    >
    > Thanks, I think I remember this being a previous problem.  So I just deleted the entire ".cayenne" directory, and now it saves the datasource configuration correctly (well at least for this one project).  Thanks.
    >
    > So, my next question is:
    >
    > 1. Until 3.1 re-design, what steps should I now take wrt the ".cayenne" dir to ensure that my datasources are all available for all 3 of my projects?
    >        a. do I need to re-create all of my datasources and then save
    >        b. if I do step "a." then do I need to do anything else for the other projects or is the "re-create" step sufficient.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Joe
    >
    > PS I would have thought that you would have used the XML pattern as a solution for the CM-level preferences as you did with the project files.  (Your project files are pretty much bullet-proof, and I can even make quick changes using direct text-editing.  IMHO this is an excellent design.)
    >

    > On Mar 29, 2010, at 12:43 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:
    >
    >> You are probably running into a known issue CM has with HypersonicSQL
    >> (the embedded database Cayenne uses to save preferences -- an "eat
    >> your own dogfood" kind of thing).  Unfortunately, the simplest thing
    >> to do is delete the preferences DB and start over.  If you look in
    >> your ~/.cayenne/prefs/1.2 directory, you'll probably see multiple DB
    >> files instead of just one and somehow HSQL is using the wrong one.  If
    >> you are on a Mac and use Time Machine, it is possible to go back and
    >> find a working DB and restore it, but still painful.
    >>
    >> Cayenne 3.1 is scrapping HSQL, but that probably doesn't help you ...
    >>
    >> mrg
    >>

    >> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwi..arthlink.net> wrote:
    >>> I am having a problem with Cayenne Modeler - Edit Preferences - Local DataSources.
    >>>
    >>> I am working with three projects right now and have created three separate project directories.  I am using Cayenne Modeler to manage the datasource design.  Unfortunately when I move from one project to another the Preferences do not seem to maintain integrity.
    >>>
    >>> For example the Local DataSources from the first project continues to show up for the third project and the new datasources do not show up.   Now, it might seem logical that the DataSources be maintained separately from the project and CM might be doing this, however when I add a new datasource, and save it, it reverts back to the old set of datasources.
    >>>
    >>> The selected datasource does not appear to be saved between projects, and if I add a new one, it does not appear to save it.  (Yes, I did select the "Save" button at the bottom of the "Local Datasources" pane.
    >>>
    >>> So, my questions are:
    >>>
    >>> 1. is the datasource list kept in a separate configuration by CM?
    >>> 2. How do I manage the DataSource list so that the new datasource is saved?