Connection Leak Detection

From: Malcolm Edgar (malcolm.edga..mail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 06 2010 - 09:23:03 EDT

    Hi All,

    We have a scenario where a connection pool is "leaking" connections,
    i.e. they are being held by the application and not being closed.
    Overtime the connection pool is slowly becoming exhausted which will
    lead to application errors.

    Looking at this from the database side SQL Server we can see the
    connections and the last query executed, which was a pool query to
    check whether the connection is valid. So it appears that the
    connection is obtained from the pool (DataSource), but never used or
    closed.

    The application server is JBoss 4.0.3 using JRockit JVM 1.5.

    Do anyone have any good approaches for diagnosing the cause of the
    potential "leak".

    regards Malcolm Edgar