Understanding Weak Reference Behavior

From: Joe Baldwin (jfbaldwi..arthlink.net)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2010 - 10:10:06 EDT

    I have tried to ask this question previously but did not see a response.

    Assume default cache configuration, will the following call:

            ((org.apache.cayenne.access.DataContext)BaseContext.getThreadObjectContext()).getObjectStore().getDataRowCache().size()

    return the number of DataObjects in DataContext cache for a webapp (using standard configuration)?

    If so, then does this method report hollow objects, faulted objects, or both?

    (The reason I am asking is that this number this method reports always grows during the life of the app, even on my dev server. I would have expected this value to get smaller once all of the sessions release references to the Select Query array lists, are nulled, and then GC'd.)

    What should this number look like during the course of a well written webapp? Shouldn't the number go up and down depending on GC? (If there is a better method for visibility, please let me know.)

    Thanks,
    Joe