Re: Connection Pool

From: Joe Baldwin (jfbaldwi..arthlink.net)
Date: Sat Apr 17 2010 - 02:50:21 EDT

    Ari,

    > Very many people have stayed on the 5.0.x releases due to perceived problems with 5.1.x. There is nothing in either of those releases that should make the slightest difference to Cayenne.

    I did some more research and found a report with *similar* symptoms

            http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=16979

    The complaint is that in an early 5.0 MySQL:

            "When accessing the auto-increment counter, InnoDB uses a special table-level AUTO-INC lock that it keeps to the end of the current SQL statement, "

    This appears to document anomalous locking behavior associated with MySQL 5.0 innodb, that the subsequent postings suggest will be fixed in 5.1. If this is in fact table level locking then a simple update could cause problems when there are multiple users reading & writing data. (I have no idea how to reproduce this, or test the extent to which the innodb locking has cascading affects, however if this could cause connection problems then it could be the culprit)

    You guys know way more about DBMS behavior than I; does this sound like it could be the problem (remember the logs show the locking exception is typically just prior to the connection exception)?

    If so, then a simple upgrade to MySQL 5.1 might fix the problem.

    Thanks,
    Joe