Re: Cayenne 'the book', Was: Cayenne 3.0 is released

From: Arnaud Garcia (arnau..magemed-87.com)
Date: Sat May 08 2010 - 05:13:53 EDT

    Hello,

    Thanks Ari,

    Ready to help !

    Writing a book for Cayenne is very important for the project now... (for
    marketing...) But beyond marketing lot of developpers (as me) know just 20%
    of what we can do with Cayenne... and it is a bit frustrating..

    Another point, is the integration with other frameworks (Tapestry, Wicket,
    ...). In the book we have to add some parts for this, because in a web
    project, ORM is important, but we have to work with all of theses
    frameworks, and you know that it is also a challenge !

    It is very hard to find a book which talk about how to build a full web
    application. But I really think, we can do this because developpers just
    need to know 'how to start' and how to correctly integrate these frameworks.

    Very often IT managers, developpers choose a framework because they have a
    complete example... So if we want to help Cayenne developpers teams we have
    to share our experience with these frameworks integration problems...and I
    really think it is a key for the success...

    So, I think it will be very interesting two have some 'parts' with real
    project (kind of real life tutorial):

    A VERY simple draft can be:

    ... PART I : CAYENNE
                -
                - architecture of the framework..
                - ...
                -
    ... PART II : WEB PROJECTS
          -
          - Wicket
                 - how to set up a project : Maven, Cayenne, selenium....
                 - how to wrap Cayenne object with Wicket models ?
                       - Why Wicket serialization mechanism could be a problem
    with Cayenne ...
                 -
                 - How to test your web app : Selenium configuration,
                 - Optimization: Jmeter configuration (Thread group, ...)

          - Tapestry

    .... PART 3

    Arnaud