Re: Cayenne Supported DBCP Properties

From: Joe Baldwin (jfbaldwi..arthlink.net)
Date: Thu May 27 2010 - 16:16:58 UTC

    Andrus,

    Thanks again for your suggestion. It *appears* to have revealed another possibly associated problem.

    I have been working on a "load time" problem that has the symptoms of causing a jsp page using Cayenne (connecting to MySQL 5.0.x) taking about 30-60 secs to load. With the help of the Cayenne team it appears that it was not due to Cayenne. However, the webhost tech person believes that it cannot be MySQL 5.0.x.

    Well almost immediately after getting the "testWhileIdle" configuration working I got another load-event with the corresponding Catalina log exception:

            java.sql.SQLException: Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction

    I did some more research and the web-comments (while not conclusive) appear to point to the InnoDB table locking issue that I found documented in some MySQL 5.0.x bug reports.

    Question:
    Since I cannot reproduce this error on my development machine (and my head is about to explode on this one :) ), do you think that there a chance that this is in the DBCP Pool Manager (that I have just configured for Cayenne), or is it more likely that it is MySQL 5.0.x InnoDB?

    (My only test left is to request that they move the project to a new server with MySQL 5.1.x)

    Thanks for all your help so far,
    Joe