Cayenne vs Hibernate Comparison

From: Joe Baldwin (jfbaldwi..arthlink.net)
Date: Sun Sep 05 2010 - 18:21:53 UTC

    Hi,

    I am again responsible for making a cogent Cayenne vs Hibernate Comparison. Before I "reinvent the wheel" so-to speak with a new evaluation, I would like to find out if anyone has done a recent and fair comparison/evaluation (and has published it).

    When I initially performed my evaluation of the two, it seemed like a very easy decision. While Hibernate had been widely adopted (and was on a number of job listings), it seemed like the core decision was made mostly because "everyone else was using it" (which I thought was a bit thin).

    I base my decision on the fact that Cayenne (at the time) supported enough of the core ORM features that I needed, in addition to being very similar conceptually to NeXT EOF (which was the first stable Enterprise-ready ORM implementations). Cayenne seems to support a more "agile" development model, while being as (or more) mature than EOF. (In my opinion. :) )

    It seem like there is an explosion of standards, which appear to be driven by "camps" of opinions on the best practices for accomplishing abstraction of persistence supporting both native apps and highly distributed SOA's.

    My vote is obviously for Cayenne, but I would definitely like to update my understanding of the comparison.

    Thanks,
    Joe