Re: Integrating jars for WOFrameworks ?

From: Ken Anderson (list..nderhome.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2006 - 14:44:09 EST

    On Mar 21, 2006, at 2:29 PM, Marc Respass wrote:

    > On Mar 21, 2006, at 1:45 PM, Ken Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> Mark,
    >
    > marC :)

    Sorry - force of habit knowing a lot of k-Marcs :)

    >> Thanks. Putting the 3rd party jars in Extensions is not really an
    >> option - first I would prefer to not keep track of what
    >> dependencies I have on things in that directory, and second, I
    >> have different framework/app combinations that use different
    >> versions of the same jars. Putting them in the application
    >> package kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it? This is a
    >> framework built around a specific 3rd party jar.
    >
    > I have, as much as possible, stopped using WO frameworks. I'm a
    > long time WO user and I like Frameworks but for the apps I'm
    > building these days, I haven't found them useful. I wonder, is your
    > framework nothing but a wrapper for the jar or are you
    > incorporating your own classes along with the jar's classes? In
    > either case, your app links to a particular framework which uses a
    > particular jar. From the app's point of view, it's a classpath. I
    > would keep the various jar files in different directories and copy
    > them into the application's wrapper. When building the framework,
    > you use the particular set of jars. I suspect that I'm not clear on
    > what you're doing and now I'm giving advice on something else
    > instead of helping to answer your question.
    >
    > XCode used to have the ability to "merge" a jar which just unjarred
    > then included all the classes in your jar. If that's what you're
    > looking for, I believe you need to write some ant targets to do
    > that for you.

    No real need to merge the jar if nothing else cares - I just always
    thought it merged them because it would only have a classpath to that
    single jar.

    >> I guess I'm not clear on how it would be better with Eclipse. Are
    >> you saying that, because the third party jar is just integrated
    >> into the framework that the app won't automatically rebuild if
    >> that jar is changed?
    >
    > Your framework uses some jars. Your app uses the framework. When
    > you make a change in the framework, the app sees it (when you're
    > running and debugging in Eclipse). You don't have to build and
    > deploy the framework to use it and you can debug easier.
    >
    > I've moved to using straight jar files as libraries as much as
    > possible. I have a few frameworks that are nothing but eomodel
    > files and I even load those models manually instead of using a
    > framework. I look at it like I'm builing a Java app and using the
    > WO libraries like any other library.

    Yes, I'm beginning to see the advantage to this. So you're
    advocating building regular jars and just having the apps reference
    them, getting rid of the framework concept altogether. It certainly
    is better than installing in /Library/Frameworks all the time. Where
    do you store your eomodeld?

    > Hope this helps.
    > Marc

    It has a lot! Thanks.