Re: Nightly vs Stable (Was: Entity Modeler Stored Procedure Attribute Error)

From: David LeBer (dlebe..odeferous.com)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 09:03:05 EST

    On 18-Jan-08, at 8:54 AM, David Avendasora wrote:

    > Oh man...
    >
    > Has the "Stable" build turned into the "Obsolete" build?

    I cannot speak for the WOLips developers, but yeah I've always viewed
    it as "mostly safe, but no new bug fixes or features" - Me, I likes
    the features... I believe that this has been discussed numerous times
    and I don't know if it is likely to change any time soon.

    > This is the biggest reason I hesitated so long on switching to
    > Eclipse. If I go nightly, I'm worried that I may wake up some
    > morning to find my app no longer building due to the fact that
    > something rolled into the nightly is broken.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that Mike will fix things almost-
    > on-demand, and WOLips gets better every day, but before I could even
    > ask for a fix I'd have to figure out that it wasn't my fault in the
    > first place. At this point in my Java-Development career, most
    > problems are mine. I don't want to spend hours pouring through my
    > code trying to figure out what I broke, when it wasn't me.
    >
    > Can anyone assuage my fears?

    I don't update every night. I'll update when I read about something
    new on the lists. I've not had any negative impact to my productivity.
    I use the nightly build of Wonder as well.

    You might want to take a look at the beta all-in-one installer. I
    would assume that it gives you a tested install that will work, so it
    might minimize some of your stability concerns starting out.

    <http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WOL/mail/2654630>

    ;david

    --
    David LeBer