Re: Nightly vs Stable (Was: Entity Modeler Stored Procedure Attribute Error)

From: David Avendasora (webobject..vendasora.com)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 09:16:57 EST

    On Jan 18, 2008, at 9:03 AM, David LeBer wrote:

    > On 18-Jan-08, at 8:54 AM, David Avendasora wrote:
    >
    >> Oh man...
    >>
    >> Has the "Stable" build turned into the "Obsolete" build?
    >
    > I cannot speak for the WOLips developers, but yeah I've always
    > viewed it as "mostly safe, but no new bug fixes or features" - Me,
    > I likes the features... I believe that this has been discussed
    > numerous times and I don't know if it is likely to change any time
    > soon.
    >
    >> This is the biggest reason I hesitated so long on switching to
    >> Eclipse. If I go nightly, I'm worried that I may wake up some
    >> morning to find my app no longer building due to the fact that
    >> something rolled into the nightly is broken.
    >>
    >> Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that Mike will fix things
    >> almost-on-demand, and WOLips gets better every day, but before I
    >> could even ask for a fix I'd have to figure out that it wasn't my
    >> fault in the first place. At this point in my Java-Development
    >> career, most problems are mine. I don't want to spend hours
    >> pouring through my code trying to figure out what I broke, when it
    >> wasn't me.
    >>
    >> Can anyone assuage my fears?
    >
    > I don't update every night. I'll update when I read about something
    > new on the lists. I've not had any negative impact to my
    > productivity. I use the nightly build of Wonder as well.

    This sounds like a good idea. I guess I don't _have to_ be a slave to
    automatic updating. :)

    > You might want to take a look at the beta all-in-one installer. I
    > would assume that it gives you a tested install that will work, so
    > it might minimize some of your stability concerns starting out.
    >
    > <http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WOL/mail/2654630>

    I've looked at that, but since it is a Beta, and I am under the gun
    in a production environment, I tend to stick with what I _know_
    works, and only upgrade when there's a compelling reason. And I think
    there may be one now, but at this point I'm not ready to try the all-
    in-one installer. If I were just getting started with WO and Eclipse
    you can bet I'd try it. It's a godsend for beginners.