Re: Upcoming Classpath Changes

From: Peter Pritchard (pjpritc..ac.com)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2008 - 14:04:55 EST

    Good point, which is why you would ONLY resort to putting frameworks
    in there if you entire team, say, relies on version 4.0 of the Ajax
    framework ... but each team member has a different version in their /
    Library/Frameworks/ folder ... and there is a different version on
    the testing server ... and a different version on the production
    server ...

    Or ... if you were developing a framework AND an application at the
    same time ... then you might want to have version 1.5.0 of the
    framework (while 1.6 is being worked on) ... when work on the
    framework is complete, it could be installed to /Library/Frameworks
    on everybody's machine and everone lives happily ever after ...

    In a full QA/embedded dev team, often time we need to 'know' exactly
    which version of what is being run ... otherwise there is no point
    discovering bugs ... if you can't explain how to replicate it ... and
    that includes WebServerResources ... maybe version 1.5 includes
    prototype.js version 1.5.1 ... and version 1.6 includes prototype v.
    1.6.0 ... API differences make a big difference, even in JS files ...
    and some of us (all of us?) have version 1.5.0 rc1, 1.5.0 final,
    1.5.0, scriptaculous 1.7.0 rc1, etc ...

    If you are a lone programmer (with no QA) or work in a small-ish
    team ... most of this doesn't matter ... but even with a team of
    two ... I like using the nightly build (because I think it's more
    stable), but my other half likes to find a version that works and
    stick with it ... even if new functionality is exposed with the new
    version (because he thinks it's more stable) ... we all have our
    reasons ...

    - PJ

    btw >>> this method would allow me to use my svn:externals trick
    without enforcing it on anyone else, allow for capturing a specific
    version of a framework to be used for an application for those
    interested in that, and when (if) Apple ever decides to introduce
    some versioning system (which they won't) ... it won't conflict ...
    no tricky NSBundle stuff, just a place to look for WOFrameworks
    before User/Local/System

    btw 2 >>> You could use this trick to bring along WO 5.3 system/local
    frameworks, etc, on a system where all the frameworks in the regular
    spots are WO 5.4 based ... etc ...

    On Jan 19, 2008, at 1:19 PM, Anjo Krank wrote:

    > So you want like 40 copies of your frameworks in your projects?
    > Brr... this will be a total nightmare to keep in sync.
    >
    > Cheers, Anjo
    >
    > Am 19.01.2008 um 19:14 schrieb Peter Pritchard:
    >
    >> Probably misinterpreting well intentioned sarcasm ...
    >>
    >> But to be clear ...
    >>
    >> MyGreatProject/
    >> Sources/
    >> Components/
    >> WebServerResources/
    >> Resources/
    >> Libraries/
    >> Frameworks/ *** this 1st in search order ***
    >>
    >> - pj
    >>

    >> Sent from my iPhone
    >>
    >> On Jan 19, 2008, at 1:03 PM, Anjo Krank <kran..ogicunited.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> How would that work? None of the projects I use are in my
    >>> workspace. They are scattered all over the disk. Relative to what?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers, Anjo

    - Peter Pritchard
    pjpritc..ac.com