Re: superunstable

From: David LeBer (dlebe..odeferous.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 13:24:24 EST

    On 29-Jan-08, at 1:18 PM, David Avendasora wrote:

    > This is going to get really confusing.
    >
    > What if instead of trying to repurpose existing directories, you
    > came up with 3 new ones and deprecated the old ones?
    >
    > Stable remains Stable
    > Nightly remains the current Nightly build
    >
    > Add a "Release" that contains the current Stable
    > Add a "Beta" that is the current build in Nightly,
    > Add a "Alpha" that is the superunstable that is the really
    > experimental stuff
    >
    > Beta will wait for any bugs found in the Alpha to be fixed before
    > being updated, but I think it will be much less confusing than
    > trying to maintain the existing structure.
    >
    > People that are pointing to Stable or Nightly will just continue to
    > get the existing stuff for now.

    I think I agree with David on this. Though I'd vote to add a 'Legacy'
    for the current 4118 build and make a snapshot before the class-path
    changes for the 'Release'

    It'd be really nice if the labels for the build actually mean
    something rather than 'stable' == 'old and untouched', 'nightly' ==
    'use this one if you want bug fixes and new features'.

    ;david

    --
    David LeBer
    Codeferous Software