Stupid Ant Question

From: Pierce T. Wetter III (pierc..winforces.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2008 - 15:02:12 EST

    <VENT>

      Just like every generation thinks they invented sex, it seems like
    every generation feels the need to rewrite "make" to make it "easier
    to use".

    </VENT>

      Ok, so in order to do a deployment, I have to build 2 .jar
    libraries, 7 frameworks, and 7 WebObjects applications.

      The way this is done currently is we have these scary totally
    undocumented ant files, one called build.xml and one called
    generic.xml. Somehow, they managed to build everything, in general
    because the first build.xml knows what has to be built in what order,
    and then it uses generic.xml to force projects to build.

      That is, until I decided to add a framework to hold all our 3rd
    party jars, instead of just dumping crap into /Library/Java/Extensions.

      So now I need to either understand how all that works, or recreate it.

      It seems to me though that this can't be an uncommon problem. :-)

      So I'm leaning towards recreating it. I mean, AFAIK, I should only
    have to do the following:

       1. Export a build.xml for each project from Eclipse.

       2. Write a master build.xml that calls the others.

      Is that correct or is there a cooler, easier way? Like can you
    select a group of projects in eclipse and have it write out an
    build.xml file for you?

      What's the deal with all that maven stuff anyways?

      Pierce